Friday, December 6, 2013

Morality and the Christian God, A Sam Harris video mash-up

Since I've been poking around a little bit at teaching myself some basic video editing, I made my own video mash-up for Sam Harris's "Morality and the Christian God," per the invitation he published on his blog.

I know that the composition style is similar to what a couple of other people did before me, but I feel that their videos are too long to possess the kind of punch needed to really get Harris's message to a wide audience. In fact, I found that I needed a lot of willpower to sit through the full length of those videos, which is not a good recipe for a viral video. Therefore, I made mine much shorter, just under two and a third minutes.

To accomplish that goal, I had to edit Harris's original audio file pretty heavily, cutting it and then reordering the remnants so that they would still present a cohesive narrative, hopefully carrying a lot of punch. To be fair to any critics, I agree--Harris's words as composed originally are very powerful and better--but I don't think they are amenable to a video of this composition style given that they run for nearly eight minutes. Perhaps the RSA Animate style Harris suggests on his blog would be more potent for the full audio track.

So, I hope you check it out and enjoy it, and if you do, please share it. To be clear, I don't stand to gain anything from it other than the benefits of living in a world where more people have heard and hopefully considered these thoughts of Sam Harris.

2 comments:

  1. A great edit. Thank you for sharing it. I think you have a wrong link to Sam's invitation - http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/morality-and-the-christian-god

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for catching that! I've fixed it now. Thanks also for your kind words!

      Delete